The Board of Governors at Louisiana State University (LSU) announced last month that they were considering closing its Library and Information Science (LIS) program, among others, due to budget cuts. This announcement prompted a quick mobilization of the School’s faculty, staff, students, and alumni, all of whom intend to show the governors the need for the program, which constitutes the only library school in the state of Louisiana.
The University of South Florida’s School of Library and Information Science (USF SLIS) Student Organizations are comprised of student chapters of professional organizations: the American Library Association (ALA), the American Society for Information Science & Technology (ASIST), and the Special Libraries Association (SLA). After learning about the events in Louisiana, the students in the organization realized that Florida’s schools of Library Science, as well as those in other states, need to join forces with their Louisiana’s peers in order to make a broader statement about the importance of schools that prepare information professionals.
For that reason…
The Student Organizations at USF SLIS are asking all of USF’s students, alumni, and faculty to add your voices to the fight for librarianship:
If you believe that schools of library and information science are not only important but vital for the cultural, educational, and social well-being of each state’s communities, then let LSU’s authorities know that in Florida we support LSU SLIS:
- You can use a template that the USF SLIS Student Organizations created for your convenience. You can find the template in the following post on the Student Organizations’ blog: Librarians-In-Training.
- You can send your own message, voicing your thoughts and arguments in a letter, e-mail or call. You can retrieve some ideas for your letter on the Save LSU SLIS Public Wiki.
- You can join the Save LSU’s SLIS Program page in Facebook and write a message there, as well as keep up-to-date with the latest developments.
- You can join the USF SLIS Student Organizations’ Facebook page to follow the events and participate in the dialogue with your peers.
- You can join the USF Student Organizations and fight the fight with us. We’d like to hear your ideas. You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The LSU system has set up a single e-mail to handle the volume of messages they are receiving for saving this program! Please send all messages for the Board of Supervisors to: email@example.com.
We are asking that if you write or participate in this campaign, please include your USF’s affiliation and copy the student organizations in your message, in order to keep track of how many of our students are participating. Please copy or write a quick note to: firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know that you added your voice.
Let’s save LSU SLIS Program together!